Thursday, August 11, 2016

MTC week 2

Mom,
It's so good to hear about home and every thing that is going on. It's hard to know that you all were so close, at Hannah's wedding. I hope you know I pray for you all every night, to be watched over and protected. I saw Seleck, and we got a picture on his Ipad but haven't gotten it yet. I'm glad to hear life is going on as normal, I almost miss the thought of school. 

Thank you for your example of diligence in reading the Aklat ni Mormon, I have been so busy studying different things that I have gotten off of my regular reading schedule. I will have to improve that. 

Me and Elder Copland get along well, we have a few differences that we settle quickly. Mostly because I want to go and do everything; choir, study, get mail with the District Leader, and he would rather stay in the residency and read. But we get permission to go on splits with other Elders with similar desires. 

The language is coming dahan-dahan (slowly) but surely. I know enough to say most things in Tagalog, but sentence structure and verb conjugation are difficult still. For example...
Patay = kill
Patayin = to kill
Pinatay = killed
Pinapatay = killing 
Papatayin = will kill
So... 
Pinatay ng mga tao ang JesusChristo 
Killed by the people was Jesus Christ
But if you said...
Pinatay and mga tao ng JesusChristo
Killed was the people by Jesus Christ
You can see how ang and ng have become nightmares for many missionaries. ]
I have learned that true Christlike pag-ibig (love as a noun) is essential to missionary work. We where practicing teaching to one of the Sister teachers who had bothered me all day. I don't know what it was but something about her bothered me... I was unable to feel ang Espiritu Santo, so I nagdasal (prayed) to be forgiven of my anger. I suddenly had an overwhelming feeling of love and pride in this Sister, and after reading in the scriptures, was able to share a message with her. She later told me, in Tagalog, that my words where similar to those in her patriarchal blessing.

On Tuesdays we have guest speakers come in and have a devotional with us. Last weeks was Elder Holand's son, and this week was Elder Anderson! He bore such a powerful testimony of Jesus Christ, and his power. I felt the Espiritu Santo so powerfully, it was incredible. He talked about how we would have 'joyous reunions in heaven' and I felt Grandpa Bill near at that moment. I know that he is watching over us, and protecting us. 

I am still waiting for the letter from Cadet Dunn, and my patriarchal blessing. If you could get those to me fast that would be awesome, I really want to read both of them. Other than that, I love getting Dear Elders, letters, and packages. It's just something that brightens my day knowing you are thinking of me. But you have everyone's emails, so if they want me to email them back they will have to either email me or send me their email in the Dear Elder. 

Mamal kito ( love for you )
Elder Potter

No comments:

Post a Comment