Friday, August 19, 2016

MTC week 3 - Pride

This week we had transfers, and I was expecting to be made a district or zone leader... Instead, the Elder who was struggling the most with the mission it seemed, was made District leader. I had a really hard time accepting that, because I thought I could do a better job than he would. But in a really emotional testimony meeting we had as a district I was able to realize that if I wanted to become the best missionary I could be, I needed to accept God's will for me. Then, after I shared that, our Zone leader (the old district leader) took me aside and told me that he looked up to me as a leader in the mission, and even though I wasn't given a leadership position, I could still be a leader. That helped me a lot. I was struggling with my pride, and couldn't understand why God wouldn't choose me. 
We watched a video from a general conference talk, about a bush. The bush had grown big and tall, and was happy with that. But then the gardener came and cut the bush down, very small. The bush cried out; "How could you? I was so strong, and so big, and so happy! Why would you do this to me? I thought you were the gardener here?" The gardener then said; "I am the gardener here, and I know what I want you to be. And someday, you will thank me for cutting you down so low."
Hopefully I have a handle on my pride know, and I can wait until the day when I will look back and say; "thank you for cutting me down, and making me into who I am today." 
Today at the temple, I went with a question; "What can I do to better be as thy Hands and do thy will?" The answer came as I sat in the Celestial room, and picked up the Bible. The book mark was stuck to Isaac's story, when Abraham was about to sacrifice him. In the Chapter summary, it says; "Both father and son yield to the will of God." Hopefully I won't have to make as great a sacrifice as Abraham or Isaac in order to do God's will, but I know that in order to do what God wants me to do, some sacrifices need to be made. Like leaving my family for two years, and going to the Philippines. I don't know if or what the Lord may ask of me, but I hope that I will be ready when that time comes. 
I got Cadet Dunn's letter, and the package! It was awesome! But I haven't gotten my patriarchal blessing yet, so I think it's been lost. I'll see if I can get it printed off here, but I don't know how to go about that. I am just excited for it so that I can try and become the man described in it! 
I've seen Elder Rigby, Elder Gatherum, and I saw Quincy Adams once! I hardly recognized him, but he stopped me at lunch and we talked for a second. 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE COOLEST COUSIN EVER!!! Tell Bailey I miss her!
I've gotten pretty used to the schedule here, classes and white shirts. Tagalog is still slowly coming, but I can say almost any sentence in Taglish if I can think about it for a couple of minutes! Not near good enough yet, but hopefully I can get there. Oh and don't ever feel like you are sending too many DearElders! I love to get them, and know that someone is thinking of me!
I love you, and miss you! 
Elder Potter

No comments:

Post a Comment