Sunday, September 18, 2016

Tougtog area week 1

Hi Mom!
That's amazing to hear, how exciting for Cedar City! I can't believe the temple has come so far already.
Things here in the Philippines are about the same as they were earlier, only now I can try and lose my self in the work. It's hard, I can only understand some words, especially through the native accent, and it's even harder to try and speak back. But I learn new words every day, and hopefully I am slowly improving. 
It's crazy here, there are so many flies and bugs that people would rather have spiders in their house. So we have at least one spider in every corner, and some lizards that wait on the walls by the lights for something to fly past. There are dogs and cats everywhere, and goats and chickens that roam the streets. I can hear rats at night, but I haven't seen one yet. I wake up every morning from my little mattress I put on the floor, and turn off the electric fan I've had pointed at me all night. We go into the bathroom to cold water and toilets without toilet paper, or flushing power. We just pour half a gallon of water into the toilet and it all goes down and out. We study next to the same fans, and then get ready to work. We walk everywhere, or maybe get a trike (motorcycle and side car) across town. Our mission is called Tougtog, and is very rural. We go teach maybe 6 or 7 lessons at night, because new missionaries have to study all morning. 
Church was fun, because I had to say the sacrament prayer (in English), and then share my testimony ( in Tagalog). I also gave a sister we taught earlier that week a blessing in English, because she is going to be taking a big test to see if she can become a teacher. 
I tried balut, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I've eaten fish with just my hands, and lots of other food I don't really know what it was. 
It's hard here, really hard. But I think I just might make it through this mission thing. 
I love you, and miss you every day. Keep praying for me please, I really need it. 
Elder Potter

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I know they are challenged and grow through their sacrifice and service, but I want to give him a hug and may be a little teary eyed. Sweet guy! It's awesome how many lessons he is teaching each night.

    ReplyDelete