Sunday, January 15, 2017

December 18

Our Zone Christmas party is on the 22nd, and I have no idea what the plan is for that... But I'm excited! The senior couples have told me that I have THREE PACKAGES waiting for me!! Woohoo! I'll get them on tomorrow.

For Christmas day, our plans are go to church, and then we will have dinner at Nanay Ebyang's house. She is an older Sister, about 75, and the mother of the Branch President. (She reminds me a lot of Grandma Laurie) She lives alone, but loves having the missionaries over. She has a lot of kids in America who send her American things! Weird to see the things she has that I forgot about...

On the 26, we will get to Skype. Elder Sudweeks says you should try and be ready by 4 on the 25 there, and we will try and start around that time. If you are ready by then, we can find a computer for that time. I have no idea how to Skype though... I need to make one here, and have Carsen figure it out there! 

Me and Elder Jumagdao... Rarely laugh. If we do, it's because he is showing people his magic tricks (instead of teaching...) I laugh at Nanay Ebyang's bad English jokes. "Who was the only prophet to enter the MTC? Moses! (empty sea)" And me and Elder Sudweeks laugh, we joke about the things we see, and what happened through out the day. Me and Elder Jumagdao have a hard time really communicating... I like that he tries to be funny with the members, and that he tries really hard in English. 

Miracles... I don't know. I can't recognize any miracles in my life right now. I'm sure they are there, but I can't really see them.  Maybe that I can understand most Tagalog, so long as they talk about Church stuff. I can't recognize words about fishing and other stuff like that.

In San Juan, there are a lot of different jobs. Nanay Ebyang grows Nata de Coco, which is a healthy bacteria. Weird, but actually really good. She's trying to go international, and have her children sell it in other countries. Some people will work at her factory. Some people are teachers, trike and jeepnee drivers, construction workers, and police. But often, families send out children and fathers to work in the big Cities, to send money home to the little kids and mothers.

I think the residents will like that too! Here, when they go caroling, it's more like Halloween, and they want money or candy in return. As missionaries, we are not really allowed to give things away. People will join the Church just because one American Elder gives them a little money every day. So we just have to tell them we don't have anything, and then they don't visit our house anymore. They sing some English Christmas songs, but mostly just the one Tagalog Song talking about how grateful they are for the things you are about to give them.



I love you too, and miss everyone so much! 

No comments:

Post a Comment